Saturday, December 7, 2013

Alli-Sunshine

 Two years ago, I noticed a teen-ager looking to make NF connections on Facebook. This conversation ensued:
  • Conversation started November 7, 2011
  • Allison Sovie
    Allison Sovie

    I I got your friend request is it ok if I talk to you before I accept your friend request I just get kinda nervous about this stuff ..
  • Connie Brisson Sorman
    Connie Brisson Sorman

    Absolutely. I saw you were asking for other pages with discussions about NF. I'm the president of the Western NY chapter of CTF and I am always involved in discussions about NF. I have a 14 year old son with NF1-Jesse.
  • Allison Sovie
    Allison Sovie

    Alright thank you ! I am 14 years old freshman in high school my doctors don't know what type of nf I have and I am the only one in my family with nf ... .. I'm not really involved with nf stuff but I want to be !!!! Not many people know about it where I live .. I want to teach people about nf
  • Connie Brisson Sorman
    Connie Brisson Sorman

    Well perhaps you can join in one of our chapter activities and get to know some others with NF.
  • Allison Sovie
    Allison Sovie

    I would love to join in on that stuff !


 I didn't hear from Allison again for an entire year, but when I did, a connection was made that bound us together for all time.



As NF advocates and Children's Tumor Foundation volunteers, we are often the first NF affected person with which a new family has contact.  We have this awesome responsibility of giving each one a memorable first impression.  Whether we foster that friendship ourselves or make a connection to another individual with similar circumstances, we are in the business of building relationships.  Sometimes these relationships are brief and sometimes they are lasting, like the one I have with Allison.

As a 14 year old, Allison Sovie became curious about meeting other people with NF. Being from a small town near Binghamton, NY, she didn’t have much knowledge about her diagnosis and had never met another person with the disorder. On November 7, 2011, she posted on Facebook looking for information. I requested her as a friend and, because she is a wise and responsible girl and I was a stranger at that point, she asked me a few questions before accepting my request.  We had a brief, online conversation, and then I didn’t hear from her again for almost a year.

On October 30, 2012, she emailed me through Facebook for advice about her symptoms, her friendships, and how to incorporate NF into her everyday life. She felt ashamed and isolated with her diagnosis and wanted to make changes. It took a lot of courage for her to make contact and begin the process.

We quickly struck up a friendship and graduated from Facebook messaging to texting, and eventually she gathered the courage to FaceTime with me, my son Jesse (who has NF), and my daughter Alexa. That was the first time that she ever spoke to another person with neurofibromatosis.

After weeks of complaining about persistent headaches and clumsiness, I told her about the NF Clinic in Rochester and her mom made an appointment. Luckily, they moved quickly because Dr. Mulbury didn’t agree with Allison's previous neurologist’s opinion that the tumor on her cerebellum was stable. She immediately ordered an MRI and set up a consultation with the neurosurgeon at the Clinic. It was decided that Allison needed to have the tumor removed.



The first time we met face-to-face was in the waiting room of the URMC NF Clinic.  My initial thought was about how tiny and fragile she seemed. Although we had been communicating for months by now, she was very quiet and shy. Granted, she had a lot of information to process that day: brain surgery, tumor growth, a new NF doctor, and meeting me for the first time, yet even with all of that on her mind, all she wanted from me was a hug. I was happy to oblige. 

Allison and I at the NF Forum Nashville, TN Walk 2013
Before the surgery, Allison and her mom, Tracy, were lucky enough to attend CTF's 2013 NF Forum in Nashville through a grant from the 
NF R.A.C.E.R.S., an organization formulated to grant assistance to NF families living in New York who are in need.  At the Forum, both Allison and Tracy were able to connect with many other families and individuals with NF and make new friends.

Allison’s surgery and recovery took place over this past summer. She is doing well and will continue to be monitored with regular MRIs.

Just a year ago, I didn’t even know Alli-Sunny, as I refer to her. Now, because she was brave and curious and overcame her fears of learning more about NF, she and I are inseparable. I care for Allison as if she were family. She is kind and sweet and smart and funny. I am so happy that Allison reached out to me and to others in the NF community. Now she can walk with her head held high and feel no shame about her diagnosis. She is a true NF Hero.


No comments:

Post a Comment